Legal Information

Civil Marriages in Gibraltar

1. The Law

In Gibraltar, the marriage between a man and a woman is provided for under the Gibraltar Marriage Act. Under its provisions it is possible, by means of a Special License granted under Section 13 of the Act, for residents and non-residents alike to marry in Gibraltar without the need of having to reside in Gibraltar for any length of time, although for administrative purposes a minimum notice of 1 working day is required. It also enables civil ceremonies to be conducted at approved locations outside the Registry outside working hours and at weekends.

If you are resident in Gibraltar and your intention is to get married in a place of worship or in the Marriage Registry without a Special Licence, you will need to give notice of your intended marriage either to a Minister registered under Section 5 of the Act or to the Marriage Registrar, whichever is applicable. You will need to give at least 21 days notice, in the case of a Registry wedding or allow for the publication of the banns if you are to be married in a place of worship.

2. General Conditions for Marriage and Documents Required

In order to get married at the Marriage Registry or by means of a Special Licence, you must be able to satisfy the Registrar that you are free to marry by completing affidavits and signing them before a Commissioner for Oaths or a Notary Public of your choice in Gibraltar. A list of registered Commissioner for Oaths or Notary Publics will be provided by the Registry upon request. Please remember however, that Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public will charge you for their services.

All documents must accompanied by an officially certified translation in the English language if required.

In addition couples wishing to get married will have to prove their identity by providing the Registrar with original of the following:


• Passport or national identity card in the case of an EEA national;
• Full birth certificate.


• Passport or national identity card in the case of an EEA national;
• Full birth certificate;
• Previous marriage certificate;
• The death certificate of your spouse


• Passport or national identity card in the case of an EEA national;
• Full birth certificate;
• Final and absolute divorce decree or certificate of annulment of your previous marriage.


If you have changed your name by deed poll or in some other way, you should produce your change of name deed.


In addition to the above the Registrar may, at his sole discretion, ask for other documents considered necessary. For example, if you are a non-EEA national residing in the EEA, the Registrar may ask you to produce your residence document.


If you are a member of the armed forces you will also need to produce your Commanding Officer’s consent in writing.

(If you were born / or married in the United Kingdom or your spouse passed away in the United Kingdom and you do not have copies of the relevant birth, marriage or death certificates you should contact the General Register Office (GRO) at to order duly certified replacement copies)


It will not be possible to put an address in the UK or in any EU country on an affidavit if the person who is contracting a marriage does not provide evidence that he or she is legally resident in the country.

3. Making an Appointment for Marriage

If you are a non-resident of Gibraltar, law stipulates that you must provide the Registry with proof you are staying in Gibraltar for a minimum of one night, for either one day before or the day of your wedding ceremony. Proof can be given in two ways:

  • A letter from the Hotel stating a receipt of the compulsory one-night stay (We can organise this for you if you book with us)

  • Or a statement by a resident of Gibraltar confirming that the parties spent the night before entering the Marriage, or will spend the night on the date the Marriage is entered, as their guest at the relevant address (which must be specified).

  • Day before the wedding

    (Fireworks) Queue day before wedding day:

    If you are getting married on a Monday- You arrive and meet us the previous working day (99% of time is the Friday before you get married) at the Registry office at 9.00am to process your documents.

    If you are getting married from Tuesday to Thursday-You arrive and meet us the day before at the Registry office at 9.00am to process your documents.